Thursday, September 12, 2013

AMERICA - The Syrian-Americans Voice

"Syrian-Americans Live With Pain, Worry for Family and Homeland" PBS Newshour 9/10/2013

Excerpt

JUDY WOODRUFF (Newshour):  Now another perspective on the conflict in Syria.

The PBS NewsHour online team recently visited with three Syrian-Americans living in the Washington, D.C., area.  They talked about the challenges of witnessing their homeland's civil war from abroad and how they think the conflict should be resolved.

JOMANA QADDOUR, Syrian-American:  I was born in Homs, Syria.  My father is from Homs and my mother is from Damascus.

I spoke to my mother's family in Damascus.  And they for a long time were sort of insulated from some of the events.  They still have -- until today have not left, and that's mostly, you know, my grandmother's decision, who sort of held the family instead.

We spent a lot of our lives building this home.  And I'm not about to become a refugee in some country for an unforeseeable amount of time, depending on foreign organizations, you know, for my bread and butter.  It hurts me that there's only -- there's very little we can do, except send money.

And at times, you just want to be able to remove them from that situation.  So, you sort of have to put up with the reality as it is, and just talk to each other and share photos and try to distract yourself from the fact that, God forbid, it may be the last time you speak to them again.

No comments: