Thursday, October 18, 2012

CALIFORNIA - I Just Voted Today 10/18/2012

I'm a California voter and permanently registered as Non-Affiliated (aka nonpartisan) absentee voter.

I've been an absentee voter since my U.S. Navy days. It IS a much easier and BETTER way to vote.
  • No rushing to the polls before they close
  • When I was working (before retirement) no having to leave early, or take a day off, to vote
  • All my voting materials, including the ballot, arrive weeks in advance of election day
  • Have plenty of time to research candidates and issues in the comfort of my home, in my case, via computer

I believe that voting is not JUST a right, but an obligation. We cannot have a Democratic Republic unless we have an engaged voters. Voters that actually vote. It saddens me when I see poor voter participation when compared to other countries. Consider that ballots contain local issues and candidates that effect voters in their back yard.

I as an individual will not get everything I would like to see, voted for, but we voters are not dictators who can dictate government policies. What our vote dose at the basic level is let everyone know our opinion and desires for government. At the second level, if what we individuals want match what the majority of other citizens want, we succeed in getting our wishes.

Note the 'basic level' consequence of voting. Especially in the computer age and social media it brought us, then add polls, our fellow citizens have an opportunity to see what we think even if our issues do not go our way.

In this regard, nonpartisan polls that have asked the same questions over several years (if not decades) can be especially informative as to trends on political issues. To let us know what our fellow citizens really are thinking.

No comments: