Tuesday, June 24, 2014

COLORADO - 'Right to Try' Drug Law

"‘Right to try’ law gives terminal patients access to drugs not approved by FDA" PBS NewsHour 6/21/2014

Excerpt

SUMMARY:  In May, Colorado became the first state to pass a so-called 'right to try' law, allowing terminal patients access to experimental drugs without FDA approval -- and Missouri is about to follow suit.  NewsHour Weekend examines the issue by speaking with the Missouri bill's sponsor and his daughter, who is suffering from cancer.

STEPHEN FEE (NewsHour):  In early 2013, Kristina Brogan was pregnant with her fifth child when she began experiencing excruciating pain — and her obstetrician didn’t know why.

KRISTINA BROGAN:  Finally my mom went with me to an appointment and said you got to find out why she’s hurting so bad.  So they did a level two ultrasound at St. Luke’s and admitted me immediately.

STEPHEN FEE:  Why?  What did they find?

KRISTINA BROGAN:  They found the tumor.  And they’d found it had gone up into my liver.

STEPHEN FEE:  Kristina, at the age of 39, was diagnosed with stage four colorectal cancer.

STEPHEN FEE:  What was that like?

KRISTINA BROGAN:  Scary.

STEPHEN FEE:  What was running through your head?

KRISTINA BROGAN:  I can’t say I had a – a normal thought in my head.  I was just scared.  Scared for my baby.  Scared for me.  Scared for my family.

STEPHEN FEE:  Her doctors needed to take aggressive measures to fight the disease and chose to perform a C-section, just 28 weeks into Kristina’s pregnancy.  Today, her son Evan is a happy and healthy one-year old.  Kristina however is battling a disease with dispiriting odds even with regular chemotherapy treatment.

No comments: