Tuesday, March 07, 2006

TECHNOLOGY - Example of Buy, Buy Technology

Wired News - "TV's Flat New World":


Television as you've always known it is about to be history. Just weeks ago, President Bush signed into law a piece of legislation that will require all television broadcasts in the United States to use digital signals, rather than the old analog VHF/UHF signals we've received on our tubes for the last few decades -- and make the change by Feb. 17, 2009.

"At some point, the analog waves are going to get shut off, so the government mandate will definitely matter to the consumer," says John Revie, vice president of visual displays for Samsung.

No kidding!

The reason I'm blogging this is that I've read articles in the past on today's consumerism. To boil it down, there are two basic types of consumers:

  • People who have to always have the latest and "greatest"

  • People who buy only when necessary (old one dies, a new function makes the new one worth it, etc.), put me in this category

So, in a few years this consumer driven technology will most likely have manufacturers doing away with the analog tuner TV and providers will also follow by not providing analog signals.

So the consumer industry will be doing Hi-Fives while we are forced to buy a new digital compatible TV or monitor/receiver.

Aghhhh! My TV's have always lasted 15yrs or more, work just fine, looks great (I have a Sony 42") for my viewing distance. Now the industry is soon to force me to toss a perfectly good TV just because of new technology. By the way, I do use Cox Cable but not their box. My Sony already is 160+ channel capable and all I need is the Cox Enhanced Cable option.

Lets all chant: Oh, god of Consumerism, Buy, Buy, Spend, Spend (pat your wallet twice), repeat

No comments: