Monday, December 28, 2015

MY MUSIC - Lera Lynn

"Lera Lynn makes her music dark with a Texas twang" PBS NewsHour 12/22/2015

Excerpt

SUMMARY:  In our series My Music, singer-songwriter Lera Lynn talks about gaining fans from the HBO show "True Detective" and channeling her Texas roots.

JUDY WOODRUFF (NewsHour):  Finally tonight, a new occasional series here on the “NewsHour” that gives artists an opportunity to talk about their work.  We call it My Music.

We start with Lera Lynn, an up-and-coming singer-songwriter featured in the HBO series “True Detective” who recently completed her U.S. tour.

Take a listen:

LERA LYNN, Singer-Songwriter :  There is something really attractive about darkness to me.

I have read studies that listening to sad music actually creates positive emotion, so I’m just trying to change the world.

(LAUGHTER)

LERA LYNN:  Just kidding.

(LAUGHTER)

LERA LYNN:  My name is Lera Lynn.  And I’m an independent musician.

A lot of people that come into the shows these days have find out about me through “True Detective.”  Thankfully, they have dug a little bit more.  I think that’s the best possible scenario for me.

My family is Texan.  And I think, especially now, I’m really starting to feel the impact of their upbringing on me, because it’s coming out of the music in a big way.  There’s been a lot of country music, a lot of classic rock, even jazz.  My mom loved Joni Mitchell.

There was even, you know, a lot of Van Halen in the house.



No comments: