Monday, December 28, 2015

DRUGS - "Spice" Unpredictable and Dangerous

"What’s in that synthetic drug?  An unknown grab-bag of toxic chemicals" PBS NewsHour 12/22/2015

Excerpt

SUMMARY:  The synthetic drug Spice is known as "fake pot," but its effects are completely different from marijuana.  The hard-to-detect substances are often made in foreign facilities with an ever-changing cocktail of chemicals, meaning you can never be sure of what you're taking.  This year, poison control hotlines have seen a record number of calls across the country.  William Brangham reports.

JUDY WOODRUFF (NewsHour):  Tonight, we have a story on the rise of the drug synthetic marijuana, commonly known as Spice or K2.

This year has seen a record number of calls to poison control regarding the substance, and law enforcement around the country are learning how to cope with the unpredictable, dangerous drug.

We now learn more about this deadly cocktail from “PBS NewsHour” correspondent William Brangham.

MAN:  Tonight, a local teen's personal account of his addiction to the synthetic drug K2.

MAN:  But this legal weed can have extreme, dangerous medical side effects.

MOLLY:  I hit it two times.

MAN:  Wrappers that look just like this.

MOLLY:  And then I don’t remember anything.

WOMAN:  Just as dangerous as pot, cocaine or meth, but one scary difference:  Your kids can buy it at local stores.

MOLLY:  I remember, I woke up in the hospital.  My throat hurt so bad, and I was like, why is my throat hurting?  And that was because they had to put a tube down my throat, because I couldn’t breathe.

WOMAN:  Synthetic marijuana.

MOLLY:  Then my mom told me what happened, and, apparently, I had a seizure at the park.

WILLIAM BRANGHAM (NewsHour):  Sixteen-year-old Molly is a resident at the Mountain Manor Treatment Center in Baltimore, and she’s here because of her experience using so-called synthetic marijuana, or what they call fake pot.

MAN:  Synthetic marijuana comes with a quick and powerful high, but it comes with a price.SCIENCE - Reusable Rockets

WILLIAM BRANGHAM:  These drugs have been in the news a lot lately, but, despite their street name, they’re not at all like actual marijuana.

No comments: