Monday, May 18, 2015

EDUCATION - Baltimore High School Trains Artists

"This high school trains Baltimore’s students to be artists" PBS NewsHour 5/15/2015

Excerpt

SUMMARY:  At the Baltimore School for the Arts, students are admitted solely on their artistic potential; notable alumni of the pre-professional high school includes Jada Pinkett Smith and designer Christian Siriano. We meet some of the educators and current students who bring passion and dedication to every school day.

JUDY WOODRUFF (NewsHour):  Now to a school training the next generation of great artists.

At the Baltimore School for the Arts, a pre-professional high school, students are admitted solely on their artistic potential without a review of any academic grades.  Still, the school’s students have some of the highest tests scores in the state of Maryland.  Notable alumni include actor Jada Pinkett Smith and fashion designer Christian Siriano.

We followed the students before the recent protests and unrest in the city and found their combination of dedication and focus, inspiring.  Take a look.

MATEEN MILAN, Student:  My family isn’t in the arts.  I’m the only person who really does, like, classical music.  I’m the only person who like takes lessons and goes to a school like this.  My name is Mateen Milan.  I’m in the 12th grade and I go to Baltimore School for the Arts.

MAURICE MOUZON, Student:  It all started out when I was just on my own doing street dance.  My friends went and told my teacher that I was dancing.  I showed her and she told me that I should try out for Baltimore School for the Arts.  My name is Maurice Mouzon.  I’m a 12th grader at Baltimore School for the Arts.

CHRIS FORD, Director, Baltimore School for the Arts:  Kids enter by audition.  We don’t look at their academics at all, which is an interesting piece.  And they follow a pre-professional arts program, as well as a college prep academic program.

My name is Chris Ford, and I’m the director of the Baltimore School for the Arts.

No comments: