Monday, April 27, 2015

POLICING - Reform in Philadelphia?

"Can police reform happen in Philadelphia?" PBS NewsHour 4/22/2015

Excerpt

SUMMARY:  Last December, Brandon Tate-Brown was killed by Philadelphia police after being pulled over for driving with his headlights off.  His family is not alone in their pain -- there have been 394 shootings involving the police in Philadelphia since 2007.  Despite efforts to review and reform police training and transparency, the changes are far from reality at this point. Hari Sreenivasan reports.

JUDY WOODRUFF (NewsHour):  The death of a 25-year-old black man, Freddie Gray, in Baltimore is the most recent in a string of stories spotlighting use of force by police.

Many cities across the country are trying to improve relations between police and the citizens they protect.  In Philadelphia, a recent Justice Department report found nearly once a week over the past eight years Philadelphia police opened fire on suspects, who are almost always African-American.

Hari Sreenivasan has more.

TANYA BROWN-DICKERSON, Mother of Brandon Tate-Brown:  On December 15, 2014, I was going to work.  I got to work a little late.  I got there, I want to say 6:26.  And I was getting ready to cut my car off.  And I heard a black male, on the radio, a black male, 26 years old, gunned down by police at the 6600 block of Frankford Avenue, driving a white Dodge Charger.

So when I heard that, unfortunately, I knew that it was my son.

HARI SREENIVASAN (NewsHour):  Last December, Tanya Brown’s son Brandon Tate-Brown had been killed, shot by Philadelphia polices, after being pulled over for driving with his headlights off.

TANYA BROWN-DICKERSON:  To know that my son suffered like that and that I wasn’t there to protect him or lay my body on him, and them probably kill me too, it breaks my heart.  I’m his mother.  And I couldn’t do nothing to help him.

HARI SREENIVASAN:  Tanya Brown is not alone in her pain.  There have been 394 shootings involving the Philadelphia police since 2007.  In many years, the department saw more police shootings than New York City, a city that is five times its size.

No comments: