Monday, August 04, 2014

PARAPLEGICS - Climbing the Wall

"Upwardly mobile:  Paraclimbers overcome perceived limitations of disability" PBS NewsHour 8/3/2014

Excerpt

HARI SREENIVASAN (NewsHour):  Quemuel Arroyo lost the use of his legs after a biking accident in 2008 and spends most of his day in a wheelchair.  But as a member of Adaptive Climbing Group, he’s found a way to leave his chair behind.

QUEMUEL ARROYO:  It’s physical and it breaks down the fact that you’re disabled if you are able to be a rock climber and do it.

HARI SREENIVASAN:  Adaptive Climbing Group brings climbers with mental and physical disabilities together to challenge themselves and each other.

QUEMUEL ARROYO:  We push each other a lot, maybe too much.  We’re really hard on each other because it’s like, ‘You can do it!’

HARI SREENIVASAN:  Kareemah Batts founded the group two years ago.  She lost part of her left leg to cancer.

KAREEMAH BATTS:  You become unsatisfied with the aspects of your life from anything from walking to how you used to make the best or how you used to sweep the floor.  I chose climbing because I had reached a plateau in my recovery.  Rock climbing was one of the only sports that I had never done before and so I said, ‘That’s a good one, I‘m going to pick that one because if I can do it, than I have no more excuses.  All assistive devices are on the ground and it’s just you and that wall.

No comments: