Monday, August 04, 2014

GAYS - Clothing for Non-Conforming Genders

"‘The right to be handsome’: Clothing for gender non-conforming people on the rise" PBS NewsHour 8/2/2014

Excerpt

RACHEL TUTERA:  My gender identity is really based in both my experiences as a woman– and also it’s just deeply rooted in the f– the fact that I’m masculine…

IVETTE FELICIANO (NewsHour):  Rachel Tutera says it wasn’t until she started wearing boy’s clothes as a pre-teen, that she started to feel like the most authentic version of herself.  Yet the 29-year-old says shopping for clothes in the men’s department left her feeling insecure and self-conscious.  Nothing ever fit her proportions.  So she was resigned to thinking that’s just the way it was.

RACHEL TUTERA:  I got used to wearing clothes that hid me.  I thought I would just end up being someone who would prefer to be overlooked, or not worth sort of a second glance.

RACHEL TUTERA:  “Typically you show a little bit of cuff …”

IVETTE FELICIANO:  After years of frustration shopping off the rack, Tutera decided to purchase her first tailored men’s suit…and she says the way she felt when she tried it on changed her life.

RACHEL TUTERA:  Having something custom-made for my body basically reintroduced me to my body and I have felt, like, incredibly visible in a way that’s not just causing people to take a second look at me, but I think people see me in a way that may actually be aligned with how I see myself.  And that has been the most, like, powerful, mind-blowing thing.

No comments: