Monday, May 12, 2014

ART - Photographer Carrie Mae Weems

I am fascinated by what she says about HOW photography communicates, gives a view on the world.

"Carrie Mae Weems on using photography to peel back the image of power" PBS NewsHour 5/9/2014

Excerpt

JEFFREY BROWN (NewsHour):  A woman sitting at a kitchen table, an everyday snapshot, perhaps, but this is carefully constructed, part of the kitchen table series created in 1990 of scenes from a woman’s life.

CARRIE MAE WEEMS, Photographer:  What’s the life of a woman in relationship to a family, in relationship to a man, to children, to her friends and to herself?

JEFFREY BROWN:  And the woman, the subject, is the photographer herself, Carrie Mae Weems.

CARRIE MAE WEEMS:  Somehow, I sort of think of myself really sort of standing in for something more than me, that this character I have developed leads me through the world in a very interesting way and takes me to situations and places that probably Carrie wouldn’t ordinarily go.

No comments: