Monday, May 05, 2014

AMERICA - The 2014 White House Correspondents’ Dinner aka Roast

"Obama takes jabs at GOP, media at annual correspondents’ dinner" PBS NewsHour 5/4/2014

HARI SREENIVASAN (NewsHour):  In case you missed it, the White House Correspondents’ dinner was last night.  And, as is the custom, the president took playful shots at just about everyone, including himself.

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA:  I usually start these dinners with a few self deprecating jokes after my stellar 2013 what could I possibly talk about?  I admit it.  Last year was rough.  Sheesh!

At one point things got so bad, the 47 percent called Mitt Romney to apologize.

Of course, we rolled out Healthcare.gov.  That could have gone better.

In 2008, my slogan was “Yes, we can”.  In 2013 my slogan was [Control][Alt][Delete].

HARI SREENIVASAN:  He didn’t spare his Vice President.

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA:  You may have heard the other day, Hillary had to dodge a flying shoe at a press conference.

HARI SREENIVASAN:  He targeted the media.

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA:  I am happy to be here even though I am a little jet lagged from my trip to Malaysia, the lengths we have to go to the get CNN coverage these days.

HARI SREENIVASAN:  And, of course, he went after the Republicans.

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA:  Just yesterday, I read a heart breaking letter.  You know, I get letters from folks around the country every day.  I get 10 that I read.  This one got to me.

A Virginia man has been stuck in the same part-time job for years, no respect from his boss, no chance to get ahead.

I really wish Eric Cantor would stop writing me.  You can just pick up the phone, Eric.

HARI SREENIVASAN:  For more perspective on what White House correspondents really think about their jobs, and a bit more on the dinner, watch my Google+ Hangout with deputy editor of POLITICO magazine – Blake Hounshell.

No comments: