Tuesday, May 28, 2013

POLITICS - Bob Dole on Today's Republican Party

"Bob Dole: Republican Party Should Put A Sign Up That Says 'Closed For Repairs'" Real Clear Politics 6/26/2013

Excerpt

CHRIS WALLACE:  What do you think of your party, of the Republicans, today?

BOB DOLE:  I think they ought to put a sign on the national committee doors that says closed for repairs until New Year's Day next year and spend that time going over ideas and positive agendas.

WALLACE:  You describe the GOP of your generation as Eisenhower Republicans, moderate Republicans.

Could people like Bob Dole, even Ronald Reagan, could you make it in today's Republican Party?

DOLE:  I doubt it.  And I -- Reagan wouldn't have made it.  Certainly Nixon couldn't have made it, because he had ideas and, we might have made it, but I doubt it.  I mean --

WALLACE:  Too moderate?  Too willing to compromise?

DOLE:  I just consider myself a Republican, none of this hyphenated stuff.  I was a mainstream conservative Republican, and most people are in that category.

No comments: