Tuesday, April 30, 2013

SPORTS - Basketball's Jason Collins, 'I'm Gay'

"Jason Collins Is NBA's First Active Player to Say 'I'm Gay'" PBS Newshour 4/29/2013

Excerpt

JUDY WOODRUFF (Newshour):  For the first time, an active male player in the four major professional sports today announced publicly he's gay.  Pro basketball's Jason Collins put it this way:  "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center.  I'm black.  And I'm gay."

Jeffrey Brown looks at his decision and the reaction.

JEFFREY BROWN (Newshour):  The news came first in Collins' own account on Sports Illustrated's website.

He wrote:  "If I had my way, someone else would have already done this.  Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand."

The seven-foot Collins is now 34 and a free agent.  He played for the Washington Wizards and Boston Celtics this season, his 12th in the league.  In his "Sports Illustrated" account, he pointed to this month's attack in Boston, saying:  "It reinforced the notion that I shouldn't wait for the circumstances of my coming out to be perfect.  Things can change in an instant, so why not live truthfully?"

Reaction appeared largely positive.  Doc Rivers, coach of Boston Celtics, said in a statement:  "I'm extremely happy and proud of Jason Collins.  He is a pro's pro."

Los Angeles superstar Kobe Bryant tweeted his encouragement:  "Proud of Jason Collins.  Don't suffocate you are who you are because of the ignorance of others."

No comments: