Wednesday, December 19, 2012

AMERICA - Words of Hope From 'Mr. Rogers'

"Words of Hope and Healing After Crisis: Message From Mr. Rogers Goes Viral" PBS Newshour 12/18/2012

Excerpt

SUMMARY: After the shooting in Newtown, a tiny bit of hope was found in a message from children's advocate Fred Rogers via social media. Ray Suarez talks to Washington Post writer Maura Judkis whose father Jim Judkis photographed Rogers over his career, including the image published on Facebook along with words from the late Mr. Rogers.

RAY SUAREZ (Newshour): On Friday, as details of the horrific shooting in Newtown emerged, a group that supports public television posted on Facebook this image and these words from the late Fred Rogers.

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping. To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother's words and I'm always comforted by realizing there are still so many helpers, so many caring people in this world."

That message has since been shared by tens of thousands of people online.

The picture was taken by Jim Judkis, who photographed Mr. Rogers over the years.

We're now joined by his daughter, Maura Judkis, who is a writer for The Washington Post.

And did you realize soon after that your father's photo was ricocheting around the Web?

(LAUGHTER)

MAURA JUDKIS, The Washington Post: I think I noticed it Friday evening. And at that point, it had been shared by maybe 50,000 people.

No comments: