Wednesday, January 04, 2012

POLITICS - Iowa, Influence of a State on National Stage

"'Not Your Grandmother's Iowa Caucus:' Historians Examine State's Rise to Power"
PBS Newshour 1/3/2012

COMMENT: I have never liked the idea of ANY one state having influence on national voting. I wish our forefathers had the foresight to manage our national vote, but that would have been a miracle.

My vision on a truly egalitarian national vote process would be ALL states having their version of Primaries on the same date.

Also, on election day NO results (including media exit polls) should be released AFTER the last polling place closes nation. This should lessen the results on the East Coast from influencing votes on the West Coast (including Alaska and Hawaii).

Note that is issue could be addressed by ALL states implementing vote-by-mail.

In California (my home state) I am registered as a "Permanent Mail ballot voter" since 2000. This means that I receive my full voter package (including ballot) several weeks BEFORE voting day, which means I have plenty of time to research the issues and candidates. When necessary, I even READ the text of local laws put up for vote.

Vote-by-mail should also save each state money because all the voting equipment for polling places that has to be bought and stored (for an event that is biannual) would NOT be necessary.

Excerpt from video

JEFF STEIN, State Historical Society of Iowa: I do think that, if Ron Paul wins, it shows you a great dissatisfaction by the population, not anger, but dissatisfaction with the status quo. If Mitt Romney wins, then it does show that the modus operandi for the Republicans this time is to win and then worry about how to govern, not so much about ideology, but simply getting rid of an incumbent.

Ah, yes. It is a "get Obama" campaign by the Tea Party (once the Republican Party) an NOT about governing the country. They have no real agenda for governance.

No comments: