Thursday, April 07, 2011

POLICITICS - of the 2012 Budget

REPUBLICAN VIEW

"Rep. Ryan on Proposed Cuts: 'Our Budget Literally Pays Off the Debt'"
PBS Newshour 4/5/2011

Watch the full episode. See more PBS NewsHour.



DEMOCRATIC VIEW

"Van Hollen: Tea Party Wing Has Taken Over House Budget Talks"
PBS Newshour 4/6/2011

Watch the full episode. See more PBS NewsHour.


THIS TAXPAYER'S VIEW

First, I am not anti-tax. Local, state, federal taxes are their pay check, how they pay their bills. Further, most of the tax dollars spent end up back in American pockets directly (government employees including our troops, the clerk at the DMV, etc) and indirectly (government purchases from companies Americans work for).

I also realize that I personally do not decide how the government spends my tax dollar, I elect people to decide that for me. For every government program (local/state/federal) I do not like, there is an other citizen in America that does like it, I do not dictate what programs get funded.

When it comes to budgeting, I have my priorities, in order:
  1. Government has a MORAL obligation to see that citizens get healthcare (including prescription drugs) no matter the cost

  2. Provide for our children's education no matter the cost, our democracy and society depends on educated citizens

  3. Provide for the protection of citizens and property; protection of cities, states, and our nation, no matter the cost

  4. Ensure that no citizen is forced to live without basic needs; including but not limited to food, shelter (incl. utilities, telephone, etc), clothing, and basic transportation

Note the "no matter the cost" on my top 3; and that I do not say HOW to do what I see as priorities, that is what my elected officials (local/state/federal) are supposed to do.

I also KNOW that we cannot solve our budget problems on just/only spending cuts. Our local/state/federal governments NEED more income which means higher taxes. There IS no "free lunch," we have to pay for what we need or want.

Our local/state/federal governments need to do both, spending cuts AND increase taxes.

No comments: