Friday, April 22, 2011

OIL DRILLING - Gulf Oil Spill's Lessons

"Technology Failures, Perils of Deepwater Drilling Among Gulf Oil Spill's Lessons"
PBS Newshour 4/21/2011

Excerpt from transcript

JOEL ACHENBACH, The Washington Post: Well, you know, this kind of thing will happen again.

And, as I say at the end of the book, it might not be another blowout. It might be a different kind of technological disaster. And I mentioned a possible disaster at a nuclear power plant. I wrote that before the tragic event in Japan at Fukushima.

I think people need to understand we live in an engineered world, and that the technology, as marvelous as it is, there are these failures modes that lurk within it. So, anyone out there who is in charge of one of these complex technologies, either as a policy-maker or as an engineer, needs to say, OK, where is -- where is the failure point in this whole thing? What's the thing I'm not thinking of that's lurking within it that makes the system less robust than I thought it was?

No comments: