Tuesday, March 03, 2009

IRAQ - Is Baghdad Security Too Much

"Who should care?" by Iraqi journalists, McClatchy News

Today was one of the worst days in the life of the western side of Baghdad. An Iranian official who started his visit to Baghdad yesterday decided to visit the holy shrine of Imam Mousa al Kadhim in Kadhemiyah neighborhood. For the sake of the guest, all the roads were blocked and hundreds of different security forces spread everywhere. And for his sake also, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis couldn't go to their schools, offices and stores. For the sake of the guest, the taxi drivers could earn a penny to their families. For the sake of the guest, my uncle who suffers a heart failure and came from another province to go to a hospital in Baghdad had to make a long trip to reach the hospital and I don't know whether he caught his turn or not and for the sake of the guest,I had to pay extra money to the taxi driver to get me to the office because my driver couldn't leave his house.

I don't know if the authorities and the governments in the world do the same thing when a guest visit their countries. As much as I know, the governments consider the comfort of their people a main job and priority but if the government doesn't care then who should? It would be really unacceptable if people have to stay homes and security forces block the roads for every guest or foreign official visit Iraq.

I hope that our government's guest never come at day. I would really LOVE them if they visit us at night. I know our work as journalists will be so hard but at least we will be the only people who suffer because the majority of Iraqis will be home watching TV (if they have power).

Note the bracketed comment, it's still if they have power. This considering how much US Tax Dollars have disappeared in Iraq.

No comments: