Thursday, May 25, 2006

EDUCATION - Wait a Cotton-Picking Minute!

The following is a UseNet post in a San Diego, CA, group:

Wait a cotton-picking minute. I understand the high school students are failing to pass the California exit exam when graduating from High School. In San Diego 815 students have not passed the exam. In the Sweetwater school district, 531 have not passed the exam and so on. The exams test on tenth grade English and eighth grade math skills.

These kids can't even do eighth grade math. These kids are given 12 years of school and can't pass the eighth grade. It is a taxpayer rip off. Twelve years of school is expensive and I am getting tired of paying taxes for it.

Here is the deal. When I pay for 12 years of education, I expect these kids to pass twelfth grade math and twelfth grade English. Otherwise, I want my tax money back. I say we make the kids pay back the tax money. They have to get jobs, only god knows where, and pay back every cent.

Brian David Smith, San Diego, California


But, but.... wait! Don't we have the "No Child Left Behind" law?!! I thought that was the final solution to all K-12 education problems? NOT

No comments: