Monday, March 09, 2015

POLITICS - States Cutting Workers' Comp

"State cuts mean workers’ comp isn’t working for many who need it" PBS NewsHour 3/5/2015

Money before people, Republican 1st Commandment.  It is not coincidence that the states doing this are Republican controlled.

Excerpt

SUMMARY:  Workers’ compensation benefits have played a critical role in the American labor market by allowing businesses to pay for medical costs and wages if an employee is injured on the job.  But a new investigation has found that more than 30 states have passed laws reducing these benefits.  Judy Woodruff learns more about the impact from Michael Grabell of ProPublica and Howard Berkes of NPR.

JUDY WOODRUFF (NewsHour):  Workers’ compensation benefits have long played a critical role in the American labor market.  Simply put, businesses pay insurance for claims if a worker is injured on the job.  The employee gives up the right to sue, but the employer pays medical costs and part of the wages while the worker recovers.

But a new investigation by ProPublica and NPR finds workers’ comp is being substantially eroded.  Over the past couple decades, legislators in more than 30 states have passed laws reducing benefits or making it more difficult in many cases to qualify for them.  States have also cut off benefits after arbitrary time limits.

Let’s hear from one of the workers who was profiled.

Joel Ramirez was paralyzed in a warehouse accident after a 900-pound crate fell on him in 2009.  Last June, his home health aide was taken away after the state of California passed a new law.

His wife, Lupita, gave up her job to help him, including with his personal hygiene.

LUPITA RAMIREZ:  When he was walking before, he’s a very, very strong man.  Even — I said, I can’t imagine.  When I saw him like this, it just destroyed my soul, you know?

JOEL RAMIREZ:  There was my mom here, but she’s 75 years old.  Oh, my God, I was trying to clean up.  My God, I couldn’t finish cleaning.  So, I can’t even do it right now.  How am I going to do it when I get older?

JUDY WOODRUFF:  Let’s look more closely at the impact of all this.

Michael Grabell was the lead reporter on this for ProPublica.  And reporter Howard Berkes of NPR collaborated with him.


SEE:  INSULT TO INJURY - Demolition of Worker's Comp

No comments: