Monday, March 30, 2015

DISPATCH IRAN - Inside Look, Modern Life

"Journalist offers inside look at modern life in Iran" PBS NewsHour 3/24/2015

Excerpt

SUMMARY:  Thomas Erdbrink, Tehran bureau chief for The New York Times, offers a rarely seen personal look at daily life in Iran, the first report in a series called 'Dispatch:  Iran.'

GWEN IFILL (NewsHour):  Tonight, the first in a series of short films we will bring you by Thomas Erdbrink, the Tehran bureau chief of The New York TimesThe Dutch-born journalist has lived in Iran since 2002.

Personal rather than political, his portraits show a side of life in the country few get to see.

Tonight, an introduction to our series, Dispatch: Iran.

THOMAS ERDBRINK, The New York Times:  This is where it all started, here in the desert in the middle of Iran.

I was a young journalist and came here the write about a student uprising.  I fell in love with Newsha, an Iranian photographer, and decided to move to Tehran.

It was so different for me to be here, and I think Newsha in many ways symbolized that.  Of course, yes, I could have married a girl from the Dutch countryside and it maybe would have been different and maybe in many ways would have been easier, but I’m happy I choose you.

NEWSHA TAVAKOLIAN:  Of course you should be.

(LAUGHTER)

THOMAS ERDBRINK:  This is the mysterious and isolated country where I arrived as a young man and where I have been working as a correspondent for the past 12 years, first for some Dutch newspapers and television channels, and since a couple years for The New York Times.

No comments: