Thursday, December 18, 2014

LAW ENFORCEMENT - Body Cameras as a Standard

"Making body cameras part of a police officer’s uniform" PBS NewsHour 12/17/2014

Excerpt

JUDY WOODRUFF (NewsHour):  In the aftermath of the police shooting in Ferguson, Missouri, and the chokehold death of a man in New York City, civil rights groups and even the president have called for an increase in the use of body cameras by police departments.

Hari Sreenivasan takes us to one town where they recently began using them.

DANIELLE TORRES, Evesham Township Police Department:  It’s green.  I’m ready to go out on a shift.  I pick it up.  I put it on.  I flick it so that it’s like that.  Once it turns green, then it’s ready for me to start recording.

HARI SREENIVASAN (NewsHour):  For the last five months, police officer Danielle Torres has been wearing a small body camera when she’s out policing the streets of Evesham, New Jersey, a commuter town just 20 miles southeast of Philadelphia.

DANIELLE TORRES:  The body camera sees everything from me out, almost as if it’s my eyes, whereas in-car cameras only see a stationary view of what’s in front of my patrol car.

HARI SREENIVASAN:  Her department is one of dozens across the country that have adopted this surveillance equipment.

And Chief Christopher Chew, who himself wears one, says his officers have all embraced the new policing tool.

No comments: