Friday, October 17, 2014

SITCOMS - Creator Norman Lear's Book 'Even This I Get to Experience'

"Sitcom creator Norman Lear talks dangerous television, ‘Family’ inspirations" PBS NewsHour 10/15/2014

Excerpt

JEFFREY BROWN (NewsHour):  “In my 90-plus years, I have lived a multitude of lives,” so writes Norman Lear about a life that’s including bombing emissions over Europe in World War II, the founding of a leading political advocacy organization, and the consideration of some of the most seminal programs in television history, most famously “All in the Family.”

CARROLL O’CONNOR (actor):  What are you kicking about?  Ain’t you your wife always telling me that coloreds and whites ought to work together?

(LAUGHTER)

ROB REINER (actor):  Not to stop Puerto Ricans from moving next door!

(LAUGHTER)

JEFFREY BROWN:  It’s all captured in a new memoir, “Even This I Get to Experience.”

Norman Lear joins me now.

Welcome to you.

NORMAN LEAR, Author, “Even This I Get to Experience”:  Thank you.  I love being here.

JEFFREY BROWN:  You had been writing television from the ’50s on.  Were you dissatisfied with what television was doing?  Did you want to blow it up in some sense?

(LAUGHTER)

NORMAN LEAR:  No, actually, I was writing for live television.  And I said to myself, someday, soon as I can, I have got to do a situation comedy.

JEFFREY BROWN:  And when did you decide though that it had to be a different kind of situation comedy, something that was tackling something really not seen before?

NORMAN LEAR:  I don’t ever recall making such a decision.

I read about a British show called “Till Death Us Do Part” about a father and son not unlike Archie and Mike.  And I said, my God, that’s me and my dad.  I have got to write about this.

No comments: