Thursday, September 27, 2012

ELECTION 2012 - Early and Absentee Voting

"Candidates Push Early Voting on Campaign Trail" PBS Newshour 9/26/2012

Excerpt

SUMMARY: Though Election Day is nearly six weeks away, some voters have already cast their ballots. Thirty-five states have early voting or no-excuse absentee voting. Gwen Ifill talks to George Mason University's Michael McDonald for more on the process of early voting and its potential impact on the 2012 election.


COMMENT: I have been an absentee voter since my Navy days. In addition, years ago California implemented the policy that voter could register as permanent no-fault absentee voters, thereby forgoing having to register absentee every election.

I consider absentee voting a better method because I receive all voting materials, including the ballot, weeks in advance of any election. This makes it much easier (and more time) for me to research issues and candidates before voting, in the comfort of my own home.

Absentee voting also eliminates the need to 'make it to the polls' on election day. Come election day I have already mailed in my vote.

No comments: