Thursday, July 19, 2012

HUMAN RIGHTS - Boy Scouts and Gay Youth

"Boy Scouts Uphold Policy to Exclude Gay Youth" PBS Newshour 7/18/2012

Although, IMHO, the Supeme Court's decision is correct and the Boy Souts have the right to decide membership issues. BUT they are still homophobes, which means they are afraid, afraide of difference.

Paraphrase from a X-Files epasode:
  • Dunce: I know I should NOT be afraid, but I am.
  • Dr. Werber: Do you know why?
  • Dunce: Because of the voice... The voice in my head.
  • Dr. Werber: What's it telling you?
  • Dunce: To be afraid, very afraid. It's telling me that extreme harm will come if we treat gays as equals. I'll go hide under my bed now.

Excerpt

SUMMARY: The Boy Scouts of America announced Tuesday it had reaffirmed its ban on openly gay youth and adults becoming scouts and leaders. Jeffrey Brown and the Los Angeles Times' Molly Hennessy-Fiske discuss why this decision is as much a business concern as it is one of values.

No comments: