Thursday, October 01, 2009

POLITICS - Example of REAL Backbone

"Grayson: 'I apologize to the dead,' not GOP", from The Buzz, St. Petersburg Times 9/30/2009

Excerpt (minus Reaction)

U.S. Rep. Alan Grayson, under fire for his heated attack on Republicans last night, took the House floor a while ago and offered an apology, but not the one Republicans wants to hear.

"Last night, I gave a speech and I'm not going to recount everything I said but after that speech, several republicans asked me to apologize. I would like to apologize.

I would like to apologize and here's why. According to this study, health insurance and mortality in adults which was published two weeks, 44,000 Americans die every year because they have no health insurance. 44,789 Americans die every year according to the Harvard study. And you can see it by going to our website at grayson.house.gov. That is 10 times more than the number of Americans who have died in Iraq and who died in 9/11. But that was just once. This is every single year. That's right. Every single year.

Take a look at this. Read it and weep. And I mean that, read it and weep, because of all these Americans who are dying because they don't have health insurance. Now, I think we should do something about that and the Democratic health care plan does do something about that. It makes health care affordable for those who can't afford insurance and it safes these peoples' lives.

Let's remember we should care about people even after they're born. I call upon the Democratic members of the House, I call upon the Republican members of the House, I call upon all of us to do our jobs for the sake of America, for the sake of those dying people and their families. I apologize to the dead and their families that we haven't voted sooner to end this holocaust in America. I yield the rest of my time."

1 comment:

Larry Reding said...

Wow
That takes me back, not use to apologizes unless there is a chance of losing a seat!