Friday, July 25, 2008

IRAQ - More From Inside, Obama

"Visitor" McClatchy News

Was I the only one who had any expectations regarding Barak Obama's visit to Baghdad?

It seems so.

"What difference will it make what the name of the president is? The overall policy will be the same." That was one friend's opinion.

"The president is only a small part of the decision making process in America. So why should I expect anything good coming out of it?" That was another friend. I was getting really discouraged. I was waiting for this believer in change to actually give a hint of change – but he was too much the politician – He said absolutely nothing to the Iraqi people. Nothing.

He wasn't here for us.

He didn't show any interest in our one thousand and one questions.

I had thought maybe a visit a university to feel out le crème de la crème of the youth of Iraq. No.

Maybe a real press conference where his wit in answering direct questions would be put to the test. No.

OK – some words of encouragement to the families of the slain, at least!

But nothing came. Nothing at all.

It was very clear that the old rules of the political game have not been touched by Mr. Obama's magical wand for change.

A man who is a change in U.S. politics all by himself said nothing to me, an Iraqi Citizen, and I was disappointed.

Mr. Candidate, our destinies have been linked, not by our choice but through the decision of others, for richer, for poorer and you had not one word for me.

No comments: